Sunday, February 3, 2013

How did he know?

One reason I enjoy blackjack so much is that you never know what you're going to see next. People do some crazy things, and the results are sometimes incredible.

A case in point: Last night, I was playing double-deck blackjack in downtown Las Vegas. This game is dealt from a shoe, with the cards placed face-up on the table by the dealer.

The player to my right seemed to be about average in skill. Now, if you know anything about blackjack, you know this: You never, ever hit a hard 17.

So the dealer is showing a 10 and this guy starts hitting his hand. I don't remember what he started with, but soon there was a line-up of little cards above his bet. I tried to let him know when the threes and fours added up to 17, but the music in the place was so loud he might not have heard me.

Anyway, he hits the hard 17. And draws an ace, giving him 18. At this point he has the common sense to stop.

The other players finish their hands and the dealer flips her hole card -- a seven.

I turn to my right and ask, "How did you know?"

He just smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment